Do you find yourself looking for lost articles a lot of the time? If you've decided to organize your house after the Christmas holidays, here are some ideas that might help you.
The First Step - Start your organization by getting rid of stuff. Ask all of your family members to do the same. One good idea is to tell them they can keep all the money that comes from selling their belongings in a future yard sale. Set up a place for things that will go to charity, a place for things that will go to the yard sale and a place for trash.
The Second Step - Evaluate what everybody has decided to keep and help to establish a place for those objects.
- After Christmas there will be great sales. That might be the best time to buy sturdy transparent containers that will hold things like shoes and memorabilia.
- Add to the list shelving for kitchen cabinets and your kitchen pantry.
- Plastic lazy Susans are great for corner shelves.
- Are your kids toys just jammed into a toy chest? Shelves would be a better place to keep them.
- Buy storage shelves for CDs, DVDs, books, board games and puzzles, too.
- If you have the space, buy magazine racks like they have in offices. Instead of stacking them, you'll be able to place them in a manner where you'll see the front cover easily.
The Third Step - As you evaluate your belongings and where they will go, you might find that there's no good way to store them at home. If this is the case, rent a storage unit. Store things like:
- off-season sports equipment
- camping gear
- fishing gear
- holiday decorations
- off-season clothes
- bicycles that aren't used very often
One great part about renting a storage unit at a location like Foothills Storage is that you can access it any time you want to. When it's time to put away your Christmas decorations, you won't have to ask a clerk to get you into the storage unit. When it's time for your Easter decorations, it will be just as easy to get them. Self storage is very affordable. In addition, you can have the peace of mind that comes from knowing your belongings will be safe. The storage units are thermostatically controlled and there is twenty-four hour surveillance.
It's a good idea to select a day per month to go through the house to make sure it's still organized. Have a reward system for your kids when they have maintained an orderly room.